Environmental DNA (eDNA)
Environmental DNA (eDNA) is the DNA released into the environment (e.g. a pond) by an organism. This can be detected using laboratory analysis techniques, indicating whether the target organism is present or absent from a location.
Crestwood now offer in-house eDNA analysis services for the detection of the presence of Great Crested Newts, in addition to the traditional survey methods. Sampling can be carried out by one of Crestwood’s licensed ecologists and the lab analysis strictly follows the protocol stipulated by Natural England (link here), ensuring reliable and accurate results.
In addition to detection of Great Crested Newts, eDNA analysis can be used to detect additional species, including endangered, invasive and pest species. If you are interested in this service, contact Carl Halford at Crestwood, who can offer further advice on how to proceed.
Why Choose Crestwood?
There are a number of reasons to choose Crestwood, including:
- A dedicated in-house laboratory for eDNA analysis, situated in state of the art facilities, centrally in the UK in Wolverhampton.
- The laboratory service is combined with the knowledge of the ecology experts at Crestwood. A team of molecular biologists and ecologists can offer the best advice both prior, during and following analysis, tailored to your particular site and perspective.
- Testing is undertaken with guidance and assistance from experts in the field of DNA analysis at the University of Wolverhampton.
- Combined in-house sampling and analysis allows for a potentially faster turn-around of results.
- Clear explanation of results and further advice provided following analysis, if required.
For more information on eDNA and the service provided by Crestwood, please contact Carl Halford via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone Crestwood on 01902 229 563.
It is advised that prior to ordering eDNA analysis, that you read the DEFRA technical advice note WC1067 (Link here) that details the development of and protocol for eDNA sampling for great crested newts.
Please find our current price list here.
To order your eDNA sampling kits and analysis, please click (here) to complete the online order form.
For information on Crestwood’s ecology surveys, including other survey services, please click here.
Not what you are looking for? Click here.